Monday, November 4, 2013

Do Babies Come With a Manual?

     I am a first time mom. I am a first time mom of twins. Each day is a new adventure; I am learning this motherhood thing as I go. I try to read and do research, but most days I wing it.

     Growing up, there were never babies in my life. I never even knew anyone who was pregnant. So of course I knew nothing about babies. I remember asking my husband, right before our twins were born, “is someone going to tell us what to do?” The birthing classes and books tell you how to make sure babies survive, but they don’t tell you any of the in between things. Like what to do at 3 am when two babies are screaming, or what to do with liquid, explosive poopy diapers. They don’t go over the details involved in trying to rush a poo covered child to the sink in order to rinse them off. Wet babies are very slippery!


      My husband had never even changed a diaper before the twins were born. Both of us had a huge learning curve ahead of us. One of the nice things about the twins staying a week in the NICU was that we had a week of nurses teaching us to diaper them, feed them and burp them. There was nothing cuter/funnier than seeing my big husband trying to burp our 4lb baby boy. 
January 2013

     His hand was larger than our baby boy’s whole upper body. I love to watch my husband with the twins. They are so tiny and delicate next to him. It is like a bear trying to cuddle a fluffy duckling
January 2013
     Since the twins are our first children, I don't know any different. I don't know that it is any easier with just one baby; I can only assume. But because I have nothing to compare it to, I can complain less. I just figure out a way to get it done. Like bathing two babies by myself...or feeding two babies by myself. Sometimes you just have to learn tricks. My feet have come in handy. I can pick things up with my toes, re-position and support babies with my feet and even hold bottles with my feet...When babies are screaming in your face survival instinct kicks in and you just make do. 
Whatever Works
 
No Hands!
   Now fast forward about 8 months. The twins have just turned 10 months old. And they are doing great! They are so big; almost 20lbs each. They are so different from each other already. 
6 months old
     Life is harder now. I am now responsible for the lives of two brand new humans. Yes, I still refer to them as little humans because I am still in awe of the fact that they grew inside my body and now are living, breathing humans...God is so good and so big. Even though life is harder, more busy now, it is also so much richer, entertaining, and more meaningful. 

Remember to slow down and enjoy the fruits of your labor and love on a daily basis and you will start to see life as a Mama on the Bright Side.

1 comment:

  1. Remember to slow down and enjoy the fruits of your labor and love on a daily basis. Good advice. I enjoy this blog.

    ReplyDelete