Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mommy Made: Naturally Made Elderberry Syrup for Cold & Flu

I know you have all been waiting for a naturally made gem from our friend Sabrina, A.K.A Mommy Made...and here it is! This is a lovely recipe for Elderberry Syrup; known to help cure colds and flu bugs! 


I want to share with you my very FAVORITE cold/flu remedy: Elderberry syrup. This stuff is worth it's weight in gold! I'm serious. It's yummy, and it packs a powerful punch to all of those nasty cold and flu bugs. 

Displaying image.jpeg

The recipe:
  • 2/3 c elderberries
  • 2 tbs fresh or powdered ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp fresh or powdered cloves
  • 3 1/2 c of water
  • 1 c honey
Directions:


Place all of the ingredients EXCEPT the honey in a saucepan; bring it to a boil, and then turn it down and let it simmer for about 45 minutes. Add the honey in last, after it's cooled. If you add the honey in when it's super hot, it will destroy the medicinal properties of the honey! It yields about 3 cups.That's it. Super easy!

Another great thing about elderberry syrup is you can take it every day for an immune booster, and when you get sick you double up on it to help give your immune system the extra umph it needs to fight off whatever cold/ virus it's fighting.

 Some herbs are only powerful before you get sick, others just for acute care. Elderberries are great for both! Everyone in my family takes about a shot glass worth a day. And in case I haven't said it enough, it's delicious! If you are giving this to children under a year old I would omit the honey. Other than that it's safe for everyone.

If you want to see more from Mommy Made, check out her Facebook page! 
Displaying image.jpeg

P.S. Excuse my messy counters, I cook in here :)
Here's to a happy, healthy fall!!
Mommy Made
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment