Monday, June 16, 2014

Mommy Marines: First In, Last Out

Time off. Sick day. Paid leave. Long lunch. Just some common work place phrases that you will probably never associate with a stay at home mom. Although we too work a full time, round the clock job. I like to think of stay at home moms as “Mommy Marines;” We are first in and last out. And often most of what we do goes unnoticed; it is not for recognition. We are regularly the first to rise and get the household going and we are more often than not the last to go to bed because we are trying to finish a million things and prepare to do it all again the next day.

Speaking of, just the other day I had the thought, “I do the same thing over and over again each day.”  And that thought was quickly replaced with, “but as soon as I see my babies’ faces in the morning I forget the monotony and it is all worth it; all over again.” See, I think sometimes it is easier to see and dwell on the negative aspects. It is the hardships that often leave the deepest marks on our minds, thus we recall them more clearly and more often.

But I think that one of the beauties of being a mom is that even though each day is usually carried out by routine and can seem to be an exact copy of the day before, if we pay attention we get to see life blossoming right before our eyes. I am seeing social skills developing; personalities forming! I see cognitive skills and mirror neurons at work in my children. I get a hands on, front row seat to the majesty that is humanity. And how can that be boring?



Right now my twins are in bed. I can finally breathe (for a minute before I tackle cleaning the house from the twin tornadoes that blew through today.) Tomorrow, I will notice more. Tomorrow I will try to see the learning that is happening as my toddler is frustratedly screaming while trying to shove a block into an unfitting space. Tomorrow I will also get impatient and will probably raise my voice and then have to apologize to a child to teach them that everyone is accountable. I know each day will not be perfect and I will not catch every amazing thing my kids learn and do; BUT, I will be present. I will appreciate.

Remember to slow down and enjoy the fruits of your labor and love on a daily basis and you will start to see life as a Mama on the Bright Side.


If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment