Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha Season

I am an impatient person. I’m not sure if I have always been impatient, or if there was some cataclysmic moment in my life where I suddenly became a foot tapping, finger drumming, clock watching woman. Most of the time, I don’t even have anywhere to be. I just rush. I am constantly looking ahead to what is next. When my babies were born I remember thinking, “when are you going to not need me so much?” and now that they will be a year old next month, I find myself often thinking, “why don’t you need/want me anymore?” They are so independent now. I feel like I wished away their babyhood.

This time of year is a special time, filled with holiday events, good people, and good food. But I think it should truly be a time of reflection. A time of thanks, yes, and also a time of remembering all that God has blessed us with and then taking more time to pause, and savor it. Soon it will be 2014. What will that look like? What new challenges/blessings await us in this upcoming year? We don’t know, and in fact we aren’t promised tomorrow. So I am going to try and live this last month of 2013, in 2013. I am going to enjoy every day and moment with my children and husband, knowing that even the hard days are worth it. So very worth it.

What are we doing for Christmas? I don’t know. We just put our tree up, but we haven’t decorated it. My living room is full of blue storage bins containing a plethora of Christmas décor, but I haven’t gotten to it yet. Some days this drives me mad; the clutter. And on days like today, days of reflection, I am glad that I used my spare moments to hide and play with my kids or watch The Walking Dead with my husband rather than worry about those darn blue storage bins.

So all of this month, I am going to attempt to be Mary, during a holiday that insists we as women be Martha, busying ourselves with cooking, cleaning and decorating. I will sit with my guests and family. I will let the dishes sit in the sink. And I will let the fur ball tumbleweeds blow across my hardwood floors (for a day or two), and I will attempt to enjoy it.

Ask me how I feel in 2014…

Remember to slow down and enjoy the fruits of your labor and love on a daily basis and you will start to see life as a Mama on the Bright Side.

3 comments:

  1. I like your idea of being Mary instead of Martha. I really am trying to focus on the true meaning of Christmas and to not get caught up in all the holiday hubbub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to this! We have a 10 year old, almost 4 year old and a 9 month old and my husband works out of state during the week and is only home on the weekends. It seems like I am always just rushing through the week, waiting for the weekend so we can be together as a family. On the weekends I think back to the week and it is all a blur... then I feel guilty, like I am rushing my children through life, not just myself. I love the idea of being Mary instead of Martha and I'm going to try it from now on.. not just this month! lol Happy Holidays Ryann.. to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete